Saturday, December 23, 2006

Conversations with Other Women (2005)

Directed by Hans Canosa
Screenplay by Gabrielle Zevin
Starring Helena Bonham Carter and Aaron Eckhart

Conversations with other women
So I was just browsing the titles at Blockbuster, when Conversations caught my attention. I like Helena Bonham Carter, and the exploitative allusion to "other women," I found intriguing. I rented the new release on a whim, with no regrets.

I don't usually describe the plot or premise of movies because i think that can be found from online sources such as imdb. But briefly, Conversations begins with two strangers who meet at a wedding. (spoiler ahead) They flirt and end up in the woman's hotel room. Along the way, audiences learn that the man and the woman are not strangers at all, but they are one another's ex-husband and ex-wife. They have a little trip down memory lane, etc.

Conversations feels more like a play than a movie, because, i suppose, of the lack of action and scene changes. It's commendable their conversation continues to captivate attention. There are two screens running side-by-side, one of the woman and the other of the man, switching occasionally to brief flashbacks or references. This demands our close attention; we are busy catching both sides of the story. Tension is maintained throughout the dialogue, and the characters appear to be articulate charming individuals. We want them to be in love again; we want them to enter one another's screens; we want the screens to merge; we want them to be together.

Of course, I googled the screenplay writer and the director. They are a couple living in New York. Zevin born in 1977, I would think Canosa prolly around that time, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is random, but....

... Merry X'mas!!!!