Starring Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Paul Giamatti
Directed by Neil Burger
Written by Neil Burger (screenplay), and Steven Millhauser (short story "Eisenheim the Illusionist")
The plot is structurally flawless. I love these structurally cyclical plotlines, where everything falls into place. One question, why did the duchess (Jessica Biel) visit the magician (Edward Norton) in the middle of the night? How was she able to sneak out, what was her excuse for seeing the magician? Or did she really have no logistical motivation except that she herself wanted to make love to the man?
In general, I think it was written really really well. I especially enjoyed the short presentations the magician gave to his audience--about time, about the soul and death, and about ruling as king. The speeches were very enjoyable and poetic too. the magician continued to be a mesmerizing enigma, and all his replies to interrogation were genuine and sincere. I don't know--if i watch it again, i might think the lines are too staged. But watching it the first time, edward norton delivered his lines cautiously.
I was also impressed by the way the mystery was revealed to us by the inspector (Paul Giamatti). It happened in a matter of seconds, showing us through a series of scenes flashing rapidly, rather than telling us with a lengthy explanation. I really feel that i was well taken care of by the storyteller.
I don't know, however, to whom the credit belongs: the short story writer, the screenplay writer/director, or the actor. who else?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment