
Pope John Paul II (CBC.ca)
b. Karol Wojtyla, 18 May 1920 (monkey).
d. 2 April 2005 (chicken)
Thoughts:
1) I never knew that popes weren't allowed to retire, and must remain pope til the end of their living days. well, that's interesting.
2) I wonder if he were lonely on his death bed--without wife or children.
3) I bet his life could have been dragged on a few more weeks, if he were willing to be a vegetable on life-support. But he chose to save the world from another death-watch, as Terry Schiavo (d. Mar 31) was already an exhilarating experience enough.
4) PJP2 took strong stands on human rights, criticized dictators, sought reconciliation with the Jewish world, helped bring down communism in Europe; criticized the excesses of capitalism and materialism of the West, described as theatrical and globetrotting.
5) Don't be too sentimental, he condemned the use of birth control and condoms (incl. in Africa).
No comments:
Post a Comment