Saturday, November 07, 2009

MA experience

During my Masters of Arts degree in Comparative Literature, I focused on Chinese-Canadian Literature. I studied literary theory and identity politics, and the influence of politics and power over the discourse and development of literature. I enjoyed this tremendously, and I gained great insight into the study of minority literature. One of my conclusions.... I recognized the need... vacuum of literary knowledge

The coming together of Chinese and Western literatures is best exemplified in the works of many Chinese-Canadian authors. My Master’s thesis looked at Larissa Lai’s Salt Fish Girl and When Fox is a Thousand. She had adapted aspects from Chinese mythology and classical literature into her novels. I realized that there is a wealth of Chinese literature that has been left unexplored by Chinese Canadians writers, that Chinese Canadians have not brought along with them, when they immigrated. I want to adapt that into our repertoire.

No comments: