Two healthy looking white male cyclists (approx. ages 25-35) increase tension between cyclists and drivers. I am driving out of UBC, down SW Marine Drive, and I see two white male cyclists ahead of me. They are cycling beside one another, one of them inside the cycling lane, and the other one outside the cycling lane. Careful drivers, like myself, are always weary of passing cyclists. We would not dream of passing cyclists outside their lane. I honk lightly. I suspect that they might not have heard me. So I honk again just as lightly. Finally, I honk more audibly, though still careful not to scare them off their bikes. They respond by taking over the entire road, and swearing at me. Myself, and numerous cars behind follow the trail of these two cyclists, guzzling gas—if this of is any concern to cyclists. I am not the only car to honk loudly or continuously. Finally, one of them returns to his lane and slows down, while the other remains in my lane. When the road is finally cleared for me, I pass them both. But the one who first returned to his lane throws his water bottle at my window as I pass. I am shocked, yet consoled that he lost his water and fell off his bike. Mostly, I realize how threatening and dangerous their actions are. What if my window broke? What if he had a rock in his hand? What if I were a senior or new driver, and the shock of that water bottle leads me to swerve and hit another car? What if he falls off his bike and onto my car, or the car behind me? I worry that cyclists have become too self-righteous and daring, especially these two healthy looking adult men who have too much gall for their own good.
In a city where roads are shared by drivers and cyclists alike, it is necessary for everyone to respect the rules of the road, and behave responsibly towards one another. I appreciate the good that cyclists are doing for the environment by not polluting. But when cyclists like these slow down traffic purposely, behave destructively, and cause accidents, they are not only directly responsible for the pollution of the environment, but they are pollution for the society.
Friday, July 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
“White Male Cyclists Block Traffic” is a subtly racist and sexist entry. It emphasizes the cyclists’ race and gender, and rhetorically ties that to their brutish behavior. It implies that for every time we envision white male cyclists, to think “dangerous.”
Don't be too aggravated--the above entry simply falls in line with a lot of sexist and racist sh*t out there. For example, “South Asian Gangs” is a term that emphasizes the race of the gangsters and implicates the entire race of South Asians with gang behavior. In contrast, the term “Motorcycle Gangs” does not emphasize the gangsters’ race. “Motorcycle Gangsters” can be synonymous with “Hairy Oversized White Gangsters,” but that would implicate all hairy oversized white men--and who knows, the editor of newspapers and other people of power who use this term, might be a hairy oversized white man. Another example is the term “Chinese Lady Driver,” which links poor driving skills to, again, a specific race and gender.
When race and/or gender is emphasized in a certain description--whether the characteristics are good or bad--the description is ultimately racist and/or sexist. There are millions of examples--too many to correct. What’s important is to realize the power of language and implication and to use it responsibly.
Post a Comment