Saturday, April 23, 2005

News Anchors & Hosts

This is a pseudo-response to Richard Burnett, "Anchors Aweigh," Three Dollar Bill (opinion column), published in Vue Weekly (31 March 2005). Discussion on possible successors to Mansbridge, not that he is planning to retire anytime soon.


Knowlton Nash

Before I was conscious of the world, Knowlton Nash (1927-, rabbit) was the host of CBC's The National (1979-1992). He shall be rmbred vaguely as the grand-daddy of all news anchors. Even his name connotes knowledge and judgement (clearly was a geek in highschool). Peter Mansbridge (1948-, rat) is his successor. But 1992, I was not yet interested in national news, as I had just opened my near-sighted eyes to local news.


Russ Froese

Russ Froese (from CHUM TV 1988 until CityTV 2003) became my coming-of-age local Vancouver news anchor. From the beginning of his (local news anchor) career to the end of it, he helped me with all my news-related projects in school. After a long day at school, i'd go home, flick on the TV, and Russ Froese would be there at 6pm--he was very dependable that way. For years, our family did not have cable, and when we subscribed again, he was still there. He made me happy; he gave me a sense of security; even when the world was falling apart (which it sometimes was), Russ Froese would be there, delivering the evening news. Sometimes, I look back and regretfully, I was not always there for him.

I moved to Edmonton in Jan 2003. By May 2003, Russ Froese "signed off" of CityTV. Where did he go? what happened to him? I miss him. I like to imagine him in the Caribbean's, in a Hawaii print shirt, khaki shorts, plastic black sunglasses, and two margaritas at hand. But i'm digressing.


Peter Mansbridge > > > > > > > Nancy Wilson

Moving to Edmonton, my interest in local news has *still* not arrived. So, I tune on to The National with Peter Mansbridge. He's alright--smart man, worthy of much respect; British born, therefore objective; i would be sentimental when he retires. But there isn't that same kind of connection--possession--as I had felt for Russ Froese (who has a chubby round face), b/c i essentially grew up with Russ. Perhaps, this is a more "mature" relationship.

Other respectful news anchors worthy of mention include Ian Hanomansing and Gloria Macarenko of Canada Now (BC edition). My favourite is Nancy Wilson (CBC News Today), cause she's a woman, she's well put together, her humour is concise, and she's pretty--she has really bright sparkly eyes. Sometimes i mix up Alison Smith (CBC News Morning) with Carole MacNeil (CBC News Sunday)--but they're good too. I should list the entire newscast now, why don't I? As for Cameron MacIntosh, whom the columnist dubbed "most gorgeous man on Canadian television" (I can't find an online picture of him), he looks a lot like Andrew Firestone from The Bachelor.

Besides occasional documentaries on the Fifth Estate and the Passionate Eye, I have also become very interested in two programs hosted by relatively young, well, hosts: Evan Solomon (1968-, monkey) of Hot Type, and George Stroumboulopoulos (1972-, rat) of The Hour.


Evan Solomon > > > > > > > > > George Stroumboulopoulos

I tuned on to Hot Type in 2003, and Evan Solomon thoroughly impressed me. Firstly, he interviews writers, and i love hearing what writers have to say. Evan Solomon is quick and intelligent; his interview questions are to the point; and what i love most is the way his eyes squint when he's thinking--uh-huh. Evan Solomon is clearly the "pretty boy" of CBC Newsworld.

The Hour began airing in Jan 2005, and i have to say that George Stroumboulopoulos took A LOT--months--of getting used to. Firstly, no one can pronounce or spell his last name. Strum... pette? Snuffa... luffa... what? This is awful of me, cause i have a difficult name too. But i simply refuse to learn his name--this will be "my thing" with him--and so i shall remain on a first name basis with him. Anyways, George is rough looking: earrings, spiky hair, jeans. But he's sincere, smart, darkish humour, nice guy, left. I agree with him. George, he, is the "bad boy" of CBC Newsworld.

Evan and George, they are the William and Harry of Canada, if you ask me (and even if you don't). Now, wouldn't it be quite the thing if their faces were printed on our money? Yes, no, possible?

------------------------
All pictures taken off CBC.ca, except Russ Froese. Zodiac signs may not be accurate, dependent on birth month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah!! George is cool, funny, and his head spins 50,000 rpm. Smart guy. He's awesome.

-jc