Thursday, April 14, 2005

Business Dream (as opposed to Plan)

It would be nice to own a little bookstore that specialises and in fact only sells Canadian Literature. I would have read every book that sits on my shelves, and be ready to discourse with any customer with any question. I will spend my days 9-5 keeping shop, sitting by my counter reading CanLit. In the evenings, there would be held book clubs, discussing various books; workshops during the weekend on "how to read"; and week-long spring break and summer sessions for children and youths to learn to read and write. Of course, members pay a nominal fee to participate. Perhaps, I would travel to give talks and attend conferences.

I used to work in a Chinese Christian Bookstore, and this was what the boss did. Her specialty is Christianity, and mine would be CanLit.

Business might start a little slow--I would definitely need to find a proper market niche, and I would definitely have to improve my credentials. But sometime in the future, I bet the government would be willing to provide aid in the form of grants.

No comments: